Pages

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

A Serious Thought for a Not-so-Serious Moment

I love how I alternate between dead-serious and comical. I think I'm officially a blogger now, since I'm actually excited to write stuff. Pathetic. Anyways, I've already lead you readers in the wrong direction. Today's comments and concerns are not comical. They are dead-serious.
I went biking around Lake Calhoun and Lake Harriet today. I'd never gone biking in such a suburban, city-like area as that one. I brought my iPod to drown out the sounds of all the people because I am a pure-bred country girl who loves silence. Or so I thought. As soon as I started out, I couldn't bring myself to put the ear buds in. The was something fascinating and invigorating just listening to the voices talking, the dogs yapping, roller-blades rushing, bicycle gears clicking, waves lapping...it made me feel human. I never listened to my iPod, the whole two hours I was there, because I loved the sound of living. I love the sound of life.
Have you ever heard the sound of sailboats on a breezy day? I never knew sailboats made noise until I sat on the edge of Lake Harriet and listened. Each one had a particular tone, like a bell, and together, it's harmony, no, a symphony of chimes over the backdrop of waves. What about the taste of a fall breeze? Perhaps the colors of a mallard's feathers, or the feeling of golden rays touching your skin?
It makes me wonder how much we've missed. How many phone calls which distracted us from friends, how many hours of iPod listening stole our attention from family, how many hours on the computer or TV robbed our integrity to live life to the fullest. All of these distractions are so convenient, right in out pockets, our purses, our homes...but life is on our doorstep ringing our doorbell. Apparently the music was cranked up too loud to hear it.
Maybe I'm a tree-hugger. No, I take that back; if there is one certainty about me, it's that I'm not a tree-hugger. But I do like to question the way I live my life. How humans in general live their lives. Simply because I learn how to be a better me. We don't always know why we are here on earth, and we don't know how long we've got, but it certainly doesn't hurt to use the time we've been given to live life to the fullest.

No comments:

Post a Comment