What a weekend. Trout Lake Camp, Senior Year, 2010. The last trip some of my friends and I will ever get to experience the Fall Breakaway Retreat. I'll try not to list off everything that happened, because 1) you may have went to Trout with me, 2) you might not give a hoot, and 3) I can't recreate certain moments using solely words. Initially, I would like to express just what I learned this weekend.
It was a crazy weekend. Chatting with the girls while making t-shirts, confiding in one another around a bonfire, cheering the guys and gals in the football tournament, dancing and singing with the band...it was indeed memorable. But Trout Lake Camp is a Christian camp, made to become a sanctuary for Christ-seeking students to come and find Christ and learn about Him. I can say honestly I did not come back entirely fulfilled spiritually. In fact, I'm almost hungrier now than when I left Friday afternoon.
You see, each chapel session, once in the morning and once in the evening, has a speaker who proceeds to inspire us throughout the entire weekend. You know, set us on fire. For some reason only God knows, our speaker didn't quite satisfy our hunger. Sure, he spoke and inspired and recited and analogized and quoted but something didn't sit right. His words didn't necessarily hit home as we'd prayed for. We knew it. It provoked conversation, questions, and even a few lofty glances seeking truth. And I mean the Truth. I wondered how in the world I was ever going to go back home changed if I wasn't even connecting at chapel. My spiritual butt was getting kicked because my questions turned into more questions which turned into doubt.
Thankfully my youth pastor, Josh, caught it. God put it onto his heart to get us all together, and with the Bible in his hand, talk through the confusion. I found the “Listen guys, I know you heard this, but here's what Jesus says...” moments to be moments of truth and reassurance. Josh read passages from the Bible that cleared it up; he backed everything he said with the Word. Josh clarified some key points and made sure our discussions did not end in confusion.
I look back and I realized I learned that there is no other truth in this world but the Word of God. This world, although what may seem like truth and happiness and inspiration could lead to confusion. That speaker was absolutely on fire for God, stoked about bringing people to Christ, but unfortunately it was not God's will that we all were to perceive that message. And I think the message He wanted us to get is that truth is scarce, but it is available at all times, in any situation. I'm not preaching, I'm not trying to shove Christianity down anyone's throat. But I'm saying for anyone who doubts, there is truth. When your spiritual butt is being kicked, you will always have an indestructible shield to help.
Well put, Megan. I completely agree with you in how I felt after each chapel session and about how honest Josh was with everyone. I do think the speaker's intentions were good but a little misguided. I've definitely come back and felt more inspired to be reading His Word and praying to Him - not just my own prayers of need or concern but praising Him too. If that's all that was able to be accomplished from this weekend for me, I'll take it as a good thing.
ReplyDelete